Sunday, December 7, 2008

from Notes and Queries, 1891

(page 378)

Let me narrate a circumstance of which I had not only ocular demonstration, but which was seen at the same time by another person in my company. On Friday evening, October 26, 1888, about 6 p.m., when it was getting dusk, and when driving from Woodbridge to Newbourne, on crossing an extensive heath about a mile from the latter place, a bright light went over the road and back again, and this on three several occasions. This my driver also saw on my calling his attention to it, so there could be no doubt on the point. Strange to say, the pony was quite quiet, and did not in the least appear frightened by the vivid glare. The heath was on a perfectly dry soil, party covered with furze, and one had always understood that will-o'-the-wisp was only seen in marshy places. This, whatever it was, had more the appearance of a meteor, and I had some thoughts of applying to a scientific friend in Ipswich for an explanation, but kept deferring it, and never did so at all.

No comments: